Dunstable Rep Group History
Dunstable Repertory Theatre, fondly known as ‘The Rep’, was formed in 1945 after a group of young people performed a play called ‘Quiet Wedding’. They enjoyed the production so much that they decided to form a theatre group.
Throughout the late forties and fifties The Rep performed at the old Town Hall. It built its sets in an old garage next to the old Town Hall. At that time The Rep performed 3 productions a year to packed houses and its membership grew.
In 1964 the demolition of the Town Hall made way for the erection of the all purpose Queensway Hall (The Civic Centre). The Queensway Hall had an 800 seat auditorium but was not a venue for intimate plays. The Rep did produce a number of pantomimes and plays at The Queensway Hall but could never fill the venue.
The Rep started to present plays at Brewers Hill school, Kensworth Village Hall and Maldon from 1966. They used simple travelling sets and produced mainly comedies and farces, but despite being well supported it was not the same as having a permanent home.
In 1964 the old library next door to Chews House became vacant and The Rep committee approached Chews Foundation to see if they could lease the building and convert it into a theatre. On 7th October 1968 The Rep performed their first of many productions at The Little Theatre, as the converted library was named.